Columbus Crew is seeking an Academy Assistant Coach/Performance Coach to work with, and assist, the Academy/Crew 2 Technical and Performance staff. This position based in Columbus, OH and requires frequent travel (domestic and international). This unique role will require an individual who is interested and enthusiastic about the dual functions (50/50) of both coaching and performance and have the ability to contribute effectively to both spaces. Due to the composition of this position, the individual needs to value strong working relationships and enjoy working with multiple stakeholders. In performing the underlined duties, the Academy Assistant Coach/Performance Coach will play a key supporting role in the successful implementation of the Academy’s mission and One Club mantra. The candidate will also have a vital role in the development, and monitoring, of professional soccer players within Columbus Crew.
- Assist in the organization and supervision of players for Academy/Crew 2 matches and training sessions.
- Assist in the design and execution of daily team training sessions.
- Assist in the implementation of small group supplemental training sessions for players.
- Assist in the monitoring and contribution of player Individual Developmental Plans
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the U19 Head Coach/Assistant Director of Player Development and the Director of Player Development.
- Assist the Crew 2 Performance Coach to ensure unified approach and One Club philosophy.
- Deliver U19/Crew 2 team, small group, and individual warmups under the direction of the Crew 2 Performance Coach
- Deliver U19/Crew 2 team, small group, and individual team gym sessions under the direction of the Crew 2 Performance Coach
- Assist the Crew 2 Performance Coach in player testing, data collection/organization and analysis.
- Assist the Performance department on club strategic projects such as the Kitman Project when needed.
- Other related tasks as assigned by the Crew 2 Performance Coach and/or Director of Performance
- Comply with all club and league medical policies, protocol, and Game Operations Manual
- U.S. Soccer C’ License or foreign equivalent preferred
- Minimum of 2 years coaching experience at Academy or equivalent level
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a high performing environment.
- Available to travel when necessary and work evenings, weekends, and holidays with some irregular hours.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science, (or related field), required.
- Strength and Conditioning certification (CSCS or equivalent), required.
- First AID and CPR, preferred.
Demands & Unique Criteria
- Ability to work technically both on the field and in the office.
- Enthusiasm for continued learning is extremely important.
- Ability to think quickly and act with diligence and speed while utilizing an attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to actively listen.
- Detail-oriented and critical thinking.