Posted Jobs 0
Barnes Football Club was founded in 1862 by Mr. Ebenezer Cobb Morley and it is the sixth oldest club in England. Mr. Morley, who was the club’s first captain became the FA’s first secretary in 1863 and Barnes FC as such a founder member of the FA. According to an undated list in the Football Association archives, probably dating from 1864, the colours of Barnes FC were “blue with white spots – a cap”.
The club took part in the first ever FA Cup in 1871–72 and went on to compete in fourteen of the first fifteen editions of the competition, the last being in 1885–86.
Many years were to pass before the club’s reformation in 1926 when Mr. Leslie Kilsby and Mr. Robert Sears re-established the club under name Barnes Albion. In 1930s, the club was again renamed to Barnes FC. Mr Kilsby remained as a club secretary until 1939 and post WWII was elected as a club chairman and Mr. Sid Stewart as honorary secretary. The club enjoyed big success becoming joint holders of Richmond and District League Challenge Cup. In 1947/48 the club reached the final of the Surrey County Junior Cup. In 1948/49 the club decided to enter the Surrey County Intermediate League and became the champions of the league immediately in their first two seasons.
During 1950-63 the honorary secretary of the club has been Mr. Tom Stephens and based on his results and appreciation of long service to the club, he become the chairman later with Steve Waddon as a club secretary.
In late 1980s, the club was facing financial issues and lack of local support and Mr. Tom Stephens and manager Terry Beaver announced sad news that the club will leave the football scene.
In June 2021, the grandchildren of ex-chairman Mr. Leslie Kilsby, Janice Kilsby and Julie Burgess, along with local enthusiasts, re-established Barnes FC. Ranko Davidov has taken a chairman role with a goal to develop the club into a modern sustainable community club with a plan to earn a semi-professional status on a mid-term.