Season Associate Start Date: October 2, 2023
Season Associate End Date: following the conclusion of the 2023-24 Indiana Pacers season
Anticipated Time Commitment: approximately 40 hours per week
Under the mentorship of the Sports Performance staff, the Athletic Performance Season Associate will support the administration of strength & conditioning programs for players. The focus of this role is to develop as a strength & conditioning coach, as well as gain an understanding of the multiple roles involved in a sports medicine and performance program. As part of the Indiana Pacers Sports Performance team, the Associate will bring a dynamic approach to the job with knowledge of athletic performance and the game of basketball.
In collaboration with other members of the team, they will play a role in assessing, profiling, and programming for players. They are able to perform in an outstanding high-performance environment and are current in their knowledge of anatomy, biomechanics, exercise science/physiology, and /or kinesiology. Experience with research, technologies, standard methodologies, and application strategies is desired.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in all phases of athletic development as the need arises under the direction of the sports performance staff.
- Maintain weight room cleanliness and equipment upkeep.
- Assist in the training of Indiana Pacers & Mad Ants players.
- Comply with all G League & NBA standards and protocols, including HIPAA standards for confidentiality regarding all matters pertaining to the players and the organization.
- Provide high quality, professional, and detailed service across all aspects of their responsibilities.
- Attend and work all Indiana Pacers home games.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, or similar field.
- Valid driver’s license and annual or biannual CPR / AED training.
- Previous experience as a strength & conditioning coach.
- Computer Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) and general data entry. Ability to learn new systems and adapt to new technology.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret directions and technical diagrams. Ability to interpret directions.
- Problem Solving Requirements: Ability to make independent decisions, exercise discretion, and use independent judgment.
- Graduate degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, or similar field.
- CSCS credential from the National Strength & Conditioning Association.
- Experience working in performance or strength & conditioning with elite athletes.
- Experience with sports science and associated technology.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Move heavy objects
- Use telephone
- Use computer
- Speak, hear and write
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- The noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate.
- The noise level in the Fieldhouse/game environment is usually loud.
- The stress level may become high during certain times of the year.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability status, gender identity, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other protected class.